This post is dedicated to Johnny, who lamented my blog-neglect and told me that he found my writing "refreshing." I love you, Johnny.
Posting blog entries hasn't been the only thing I've neglected doing this week. Friday I finally hit the track, again. I got a talking to by Louis, the security guard at the gym, who has taken it upon himself to become my new personal trainer. But it's all good, because today I made myself proud by sticking out for seven miles. And my faith in my athletic prowess (ahem) was reestablished. Then tonight, to even greater satisfaction, my faith in humanity and friendships was reinstated. This was thanks to a good friend putting her foot down and calling me out on my emotional embargo of things that weren't A-O-K -- put in place with the faulty philosophy of if-you-deny-it-it-will-go-away. That and sharing a few things like open and honest conversations, beds, fears, and dark chocolate. To top it off the weekend ended with, officially, the greatest med school interview story I've ever heard.
med school dean: I'm holding your application right here [he flips through it]. I want you to tell me what you think is the weakest part of it.
interviewee: In my opinion that application is perfect. You might think my MCAT score could be better, but I worked hard, I studied well, and I did the best that I could do. And I think that application you're holding is perfect.
Right on! Humility is an important quality, but being headstrong and confident in who you are and what you have to offer to the table - es muy importante. Noted.
So... I noticed that over the past few weeks I've sort of been preoccupied with watching things change -- weather changing, people changing, situations changing. Everything external to me. I think I'm finally ready to catch up with the world.
If that sounded too spiritual or deep, I blame it on Blake's influence.
Posting blog entries hasn't been the only thing I've neglected doing this week. Friday I finally hit the track, again. I got a talking to by Louis, the security guard at the gym, who has taken it upon himself to become my new personal trainer. But it's all good, because today I made myself proud by sticking out for seven miles. And my faith in my athletic prowess (ahem) was reestablished. Then tonight, to even greater satisfaction, my faith in humanity and friendships was reinstated. This was thanks to a good friend putting her foot down and calling me out on my emotional embargo of things that weren't A-O-K -- put in place with the faulty philosophy of if-you-deny-it-it-will-go-away. That and sharing a few things like open and honest conversations, beds, fears, and dark chocolate. To top it off the weekend ended with, officially, the greatest med school interview story I've ever heard.
med school dean: I'm holding your application right here [he flips through it]. I want you to tell me what you think is the weakest part of it.
interviewee: In my opinion that application is perfect. You might think my MCAT score could be better, but I worked hard, I studied well, and I did the best that I could do. And I think that application you're holding is perfect.
Right on! Humility is an important quality, but being headstrong and confident in who you are and what you have to offer to the table - es muy importante. Noted.
So... I noticed that over the past few weeks I've sort of been preoccupied with watching things change -- weather changing, people changing, situations changing. Everything external to me. I think I'm finally ready to catch up with the world.
If that sounded too spiritual or deep, I blame it on Blake's influence.

1 Comments:
O Tamar,
I return the sentiment.
Post a Comment
<< Home