My heart hurts
I woke up at 4 this morning to a dream that I was lying on the kitchen floor in my parents house with a pulse of 400 and my mother was flipping desperately through my anatomy books to try to figure out how to massage my carotid sinus to lower my heart-rate. My pulse wasn't 400 but it was well above 100. Which for me, having a pulse usually around 50-55, after lying in bed for a few hours... it felt like 400. This has happened once before after drinking caffeine too late, which I was guilty of last night. But I'd never felt this bad. I've been up since then, tossing in bed, my chest felt like it was going to explode, stomach in knots, head pounding. I'm feeling 100% better now. The nausea has subsided, at least. Otherwise I'd still be lying in bed doing the Harry Burns moan. But my pulse is 96 and my right leg is shaking. I'm never drinking caffeine again.
Irony is, I was drinking diet coke (and water) last night because I went out to play AMA-sponsered beer-pong and flip-cup and didn't want to drink. Maybe it's the sheer amount of liquid consumed during those games that recks you and not the alcohol. An interesting theory. On the upside -- Scott and I dominated in beer-pong and I gained some new-found respect with a few of my guy friends. Mike, who takes great pride in his beer-ponging days at Penn State offered to take on me and Scott single-handedly (what? a girl from Yale beat him, if this was a wine and cheese tasting contest, Tamar...) In the end he partnered up with Ben, who's experiencing freshman year during his first year of med school, after going to Yeshiva for four years. I brought pride to my gender and alma-mater last night. Even Scott was duly impressed.
Two hours to kill till lecture.
I woke up at 4 this morning to a dream that I was lying on the kitchen floor in my parents house with a pulse of 400 and my mother was flipping desperately through my anatomy books to try to figure out how to massage my carotid sinus to lower my heart-rate. My pulse wasn't 400 but it was well above 100. Which for me, having a pulse usually around 50-55, after lying in bed for a few hours... it felt like 400. This has happened once before after drinking caffeine too late, which I was guilty of last night. But I'd never felt this bad. I've been up since then, tossing in bed, my chest felt like it was going to explode, stomach in knots, head pounding. I'm feeling 100% better now. The nausea has subsided, at least. Otherwise I'd still be lying in bed doing the Harry Burns moan. But my pulse is 96 and my right leg is shaking. I'm never drinking caffeine again.
Irony is, I was drinking diet coke (and water) last night because I went out to play AMA-sponsered beer-pong and flip-cup and didn't want to drink. Maybe it's the sheer amount of liquid consumed during those games that recks you and not the alcohol. An interesting theory. On the upside -- Scott and I dominated in beer-pong and I gained some new-found respect with a few of my guy friends. Mike, who takes great pride in his beer-ponging days at Penn State offered to take on me and Scott single-handedly (what? a girl from Yale beat him, if this was a wine and cheese tasting contest, Tamar...) In the end he partnered up with Ben, who's experiencing freshman year during his first year of med school, after going to Yeshiva for four years. I brought pride to my gender and alma-mater last night. Even Scott was duly impressed.
Two hours to kill till lecture.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home