Thursday, September 08, 2005

Mr. Rollercoaster Man

We had a case in neuro yesterday of a grad student who developed bipolar disorder and it was brought up that the twenties is the danger-zone for developing all those great psychiatric diseases like schizophrenia, manic-depressive disorder, multiple personality disorder -- which is now called something else, but I've forgotten already. Dissociative personality disorder? Google it, if you're really curious. Anyway. So of course the fact that I was so down yesterday and felt infinitely better today, elated even. Back to using my zygomaticus major (did I just make that up? my recall from anatomy is dismal). Made me nervous. Caught myself in the middle of trying to do four things at once, one of them being the composition of an email to about half the girls in my class to propose a girls night that involved watching a Spanish romantic comedy. Yesterday, I didn't even want to look at anyone and now I was plotting an estrogen convention. Suspect. So I didn't send the email. Tabled it. Decided to sleep on it and see if I felt the same enthusiasm for the idea tomorrow. Then again, shouldn't really be troubled because periods of mania and depression in bipolar disorder, I believe, usually last for longer than a day at a time. Right? Right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home