Monday, July 04, 2005

El Cuarto de Julio

I'm in love with Dominicalito. I'm living with an extended family consisting of a grandmother and her five daughters and all their families. Yesterday I sat with all of them on the beach and fudged my way through conversations, coaxed the youngest daughter in my immediate family into showing me her artwork, and played with the youngest of the clan, the cutest little boy (11 months old), Dalif. Then I perched myself on a hammock, read until sunset, and just swung there for a while watching the enormous waves crash up against the rocks. My "mama Tica," while feeding me this amazing banana bread she had just baked, told me that the first student she ever hosted just bought the house next door to live in, permanently. Yo peudo lo creer. I can believe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home