Sunday, July 03, 2005

Week two at Dominical and my final week of this trip officially began today with a huge send -off breakfast for Su-yu and Lora (the two girls I've spent every waking and sleeping moment with over the past 7 days) from Cafe Nanyoa's. The feast included Nanyoa's banana con leche -- decidedly the best smoothie Domincal has to offer. Cafe Nanyoa is one of the few things in Domincal that feels authentically Costa Rican. Right now I'm sitting in an internet cafe/bank/bar/restaurant/disco/bus station of the town. Around me people are talking in English, except for one guy who is lapsing in and out of a very slow Spanish con serious accent Americano.

I haven't made too much headway in my language acquisition this week, but next week should be different. I'm moving into another Tican home in less than an hour in Dominicalito - about a 45 minute walk away from here.

Despite the not-so-much Spanishness of the first week here, it was probably the best week of this trip. Some coincidences in life that are just too perfect to be simple flukes. Running into Su-yu again, two years after meeting her at my Einstein interview is one. She and Lora are off to hike their way through the rest of Costa Rica and part of Nicaragua. I am off to find myself a comfortable hammock on the beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home