Sunday, June 30, 2002

in the news:
Web gives a voice to Iranian women: "The web is providing a way for women in Iran to talk freely about taboo subjects such as sex and boyfriends."
(from the BBC's webpage)

And speaking of Iranian women discussing sex... (though I can't really consider myself a bone fide Iranian)...
Ester and I dreamt of establishing an institute for the study of social and sexual habits in humans (WISSSHH). Until we receive a large enough grant to start up our own research, I figured we could at least have a virtual WISSSHH, or at the very least, I could take the liberty of discussing stuff on blog.

When I was doing research for my psych paper on the neurological effects of oral contraceptives Christine called my attention to this really strange study that was done on mate selection. The article proposed that women choose mates that are dissimilar from them immunologically by their sense of smell -- an evolved behavior to ensure that offspring inherent a diverse and well-equipped immune system. The catch is, that apparently women who are on oral contraceptives and pregnant women, for some reason do just the opposite, they seem to pick out scents that correspond to similar immune systems.

In that same vain, this morning I came across an article in the November 2001 issue of Human Reproduction, that also linked oral contraceptive use with disturbances in olfactory sensation. The study was done through the collaboration of a few departments of the University of Catania, in Catania, Italy. They took 60 women and asked them to identify scents at different points in their menstrual cycles and discovered that the women's sense of smell was most sensitive close to ovulation. The same 60 women were put on oral contraceptives and after 3 months of use, their senses of smell during the various periods of the menstrual cycle were retested by having the women taken off of the contraceptives so they could cycle. No heightened sense of smell around the time of ovulation was observed.

Sort of interesting...

Anyway, back to the normal stuff. My first CTY dance in five years was Friday night. Yes, they played all the good oldies, including "Forever Young." No, I did not cry this time. It might have been the best CTY dance I've ever been to. As funny as Stoner is off the dance floor, he's even funnier on it. Jordan, Emily, and I did an interperative dance during "In Your Eyes." I even danced with the kids from my class a little, which I think scared the few boys that made it out to the floor. Lauren had a moment of panic, during the beginning of American Pie, when she looked at me and yelled over the hundreds of singing teenagers: "what cult did I just walk into?" She knew all the words, though, so she was fine... that is until she caught onto the Die, Die, Die, Die, Sex, Sex, Sex, Sex, More, More, More, More chant that Big Blonde Mike and I were chanting and got scolded at by a tiny Chinese boy.
boy: "No."
Lauren: "What?"
boy: "No."
Lauren: "What do you mean, no?"
boy: "It doesn't have to be that way. Do you want Buddy Holly to die?"
Lauren: "Huh?"
Turns out that this was not a tradition here, and furthermore, apparently the chant is forbidden. Ooops.

Last night we gathered around in a circle outside, around a less imaginary campfire, which was a big bucket of a citronella candle. The RA's infiltrated our group when they got off for the night. McMichael tried to get his mack on Barbie. That was quality entertainment. Too bad for Barbie, I think she had her hopes on McHot and ended up with the lesser of the two roommates for most of the evening. McMichael introduced her to me twice, and I could hear him say a few seconds later "...I think everyone else is of age." He can't give it up.


daily fortune: "Be receptive to popular ideas."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home